Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Leadership: Trust is a root of Motivation

Stephen Covey in his book, The 8th Habit, writes: "Trust is not only
the fruit of trustworthiness; it is also the root of motivation. It
is the highest form of motivation."
He shares a personal story from
his own life that demonstrates the power of trust and how it can
transform a life.

"Early in my adult life someone saw potential within me that far
exceede what I saw in myself. He saw beneath the surface, beyond the
obvious and evident. He looked into my heart and eyes and spirit and
saw the raw, undeveloped unseen seeds of greatness that lie within
each one of us.

"So he entrusted me with a charge and responsibility far beyond my
experience and perceived ability. He have me his trust, without
evidence, without proof. He simply believed and expected I would rise
to the challenge, and he treated me accordingly. It was an act of
faith. But that act of faith so affirmed my worth and potential that
I was inspired to seet it in myself. His faith in me increased my own
faith and vision of myself. I aspired tro the highest and most noble
inclinations within me. I was not perfect, but how I grew! It also
became a philosophy of life to me.

"Trust becomes a verb when you communicagte to others their worth and
potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves."


Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German author and poet, wrote: "Treat a
man as he is and he will remain the same. Treat a man as he can and
should be and he will become as he can and should be."
May your week
be filled with the joy of great acts of trust - in others and in
yourself - that you and those whom you serve may see the seeds of
greatness that lie within you. And have fun doing it!

No comments: