Friday, November 2, 2007

1st November - tradition in Portugal

Hello all,

Today is 1st November and I should be this time in Leiria with all my family.
Actually I am with them (in my heart of course) that is really important.

1st November is a day where in the little towns close to Leiria (the city of my father), the kids until 12 years old goes to each house asking for cakes.
This is a tradition, since 2nd world war, where the kids didn't had so much sweets in their own life.. so there was one date, 1st November that one unte of one kid offered cakes to everybody.
So, became the tradition, all kids going around telling "tiazinha da bolinho?" that means sweet unte can you give me a cookie?".
Today the kids has a lot of sweets in home but is funny to go house by house meeting the neighbours in one day adventure.

No comments: